Mediating Conflict,
Embracing Peace

Postsecondary Child Support In Everett And Snohomish County

Separated or divorced parents of a child entering into college or other postsecondary school may need to address the issue of postsecondary support. Although payment for postsecondary support is not automatic in a divorce or separation, the issue commonly comes up when the child is of a certain age and planning on continuing education after high school.

At Akiona Law, PLLC, we represent clients who have children and are facing divorce or separation. Please contact us online to set up a time to discuss your concerns with an Everett postsecondary education support attorney.

Will Postsecondary Support Be A Factor In Your Divorce Or Separation?

Traditionally, child support ends when a child reaches the age of 18 (or graduates from high school, whichever occurs the latest). However, in certain cases, financial support after high school may be ordered to ensure that the child’s educational needs are met. Postsecondary support may include payment for:

  • Tuition
  • Food or meal plans
  • Dorm rooms or apartments
  • Medical expenses/health insurance
  • Other expenses

Determining whether postsecondary support will be a factor in a divorce or separation depends on a variety of factors which may include the age of the child; the child’s needs; the child’s prospects, desires, aptitudes, abilities or disabilities; the parents’ postsecondary expectations for their child when the parents were together; the educational plans of the child; the parents’ level of education, standard of living, and current and future resources; and other factors.

As a parent, you wish to ensure that your child receives the best education possible regardless of your divorce or separation. We can evaluate your case and help you determine a feasible plan to ensure that your child’s postsecondary educational needs are met.

We prefer to resolve these matters using mediation or negotiation as well as collaborative law. Families save time and money while avoiding the stress of appearing before a judge to argue their side. You can rely on our experience with these methods. If we think you have to go to court, however, we will tell you upfront.

Amicable Conflict Resolution About How College Tuition May Relate To Child Support

To discuss the issue of postsecondary support with a family law lawyer serving the Everett, Seattle and King County areas of Washington state, please call 425-740-2209 or contact us online.