Mediating Conflict,
Embracing Peace

Challenges Facing Couples Who Are Ending A Committed Relationship

Individuals who are in committed relationships, those who live together and those who have a child in common may need legal representation from time to time. While the laws for married couples and couples getting a divorce are clearly defined, the laws applying to individuals in a committed intimate relationship may not be as straightforward.

You can, however, still choose your preferred method of ending the relationship, and choosing an amicable path is often the best way to go. Our caring, experienced lawyers can discuss options such as mediation or collaborative law with you. In most cases, these methods save people time, money and heartache. By compromising with your ex-partner, you can accomplish your goals together.

At the law firm of Akiona Law, PLLC, our team represents clients in the Everett, Washington, area who are in need of legal advice and representation in a variety of areas:

  • Determining the existence of a committed intimate relationship (“common law marriage”)
  • Differences between rights in a committed intimate relationship vs. a marriage
  • Defining jointly owned property
  • Child custody matters
  • Dissolving domestic partnerships
  • Paternity

Asserting The Rights Of Individuals In A Committed Intimate Relationship: Navigating Conflict with Peace

Unmarried relationships that meet certain criteria may be classified as “committed intimate relationships,” or CIR for short. In certain family law legal matters, CIRs are considered by the courts to be similar to traditional marriages in terms of legal proceedings. Therefore, couples facing various legal matters may have certain legal rights when it comes to property division, child custody and other matters.

As attorneys for individuals in committed intimate relationships, we can help you understand your rights and legal options in matters that affect your relationship or your children. We represent both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

Contact Our Everett/Snohomish County Law Office For Help With Child Custody And Other Matters

Our attorneys also help people in Seattle and King County. To discuss your family law legal matter with our team, call 425-740-2209 or contact us online.