Mediating Conflict,
Embracing Peace

Challenges Facing Unmarried Parents In Everett And Snohomish County

Cohabitation and other nontraditional relationship models are becoming more and more common. As a result, the law is faced with a number of challenges that are not generally present in traditional marriages and divorces. Child custody and support, spousal support and division of the assets: these issues are extraordinarily complicated for unmarried couples who are facing separation.

At Akiona Law, PLLC, we are Everett attorneys for unmarried parents. We guide our clients through the separation process. We have a thorough understanding of the legal complications that unmarried couples face when ending a relationship, and have serval ways that we can reduce the conflict and emotional trauma. Our first goal is to avoid traditional litigation. This only creates more stress and bad feelings. Instead, we focus on resolving matters through collaborative divorce or mediation. These methods will reduce your anxiety and the stress your children are feeling. It will also likely be less expensive than a trial. 

To find out how our team can help you, please call 425-740-2209 or contact us online.

Unmarried Couple Separations

When unmarried couples separate, many questions may arise:

  • Who will have the children and when?
  • Who will support the children?
  • How will the assets be divided?
  • And what are the parents’ rights, respectively, to see the child?

These are the very same questions that married couples with kids ask when they are divorcing, only the answers can be more complicated in the context of unmarried separation.

Understanding Paternity Petitions

In traditional marriages, the fathers are presumed to have paternity unless there is good reason not to. It is the exact opposite when a child’s parents are not married.

There are two options to establish paternity:

  • A parent petitions the court to establish paternity.
  • A parent petitions the court for a parenting plan/child support as the parents have acknowledged paternity via the father’s name on a birth certificate or paternity affidavit.

Fathers are equally responsible for the financial well-being of children, even when born outside of marriage. Fathers who can establish their paternity conclusively have a right to be an integral part of a reasonable parenting plan or custody agreement. We represent mothers and fathers in common cases, where paternity is acknowledged and where it has not been acknowledged.

Find out more about these related topics:

Transforming Challenges Into Opportunities

The details of unmarried separation can be complex, but we have experience in these matters and we can help you through the entire process while also protecting your family’s emotional well-being. Call 425-740-2209 or contact us online to schedule a consultation in our Everett, Washington, law office. The firm also provides representation in Seattle and King County.